Madeline Frank received her Bachelor of Music and Master of Music from the Juilliard School in New York City as a scholarship student of William Lincer, former principal violist of the N.Y. Philharmonic and the Cleveland Orchestra. While attending the Juilliard School, she studied symphonic conducting with Maestro Vincent La Selva, Principal Conductor of New York Grand Opera Company, New York City Opera, the Opera Company of Boston and many international orchestras.
- Monday, October 8, 2019, at 7 pm, Madeline Frank performed with piano, Bruch’s Kol Nidrei at Trinity Lutheran Church at 6812 River Road, Newport News, VA.
- March 9 2019, at 7:30 pm Madeline Frank will perform with piano, works by Posford, Debussy, Chenoweth, and Puccini at Tenri Cultural Institute, 43A West 13th Street, New York City.
- September 18, 2018 Madeline Frank performed with piano Bruch’s Kol Nidrei at Coventry in Yorktown, VA.
- Friday, March 2, 2018, at 7:30pm in Tenri Cultural Institute, 43A West 13th Street, New York City: Madeline Frank, violist will perform with piano Provost’s “Intermezzo”, Kreisler’s “Syncopation”, Gardel’s “Tango Por Una Cabeza”,and Tchaikovsky’s “Melodie”, Op.42, Nr.3
November 9, 2017, Thursday, at 7pm, Madeline Frank, violinist, will perform John Williams “Theme From Schindler’s List” with piano at the “Remembrance and Reconciliation” concert at Trinity Lutheran Church , 6812 River Road, Newport News, VA.
- September 29, 2017, Friday, at 7pm, Madeline Frank, violist, performing Bruch’s “Kol Nidrei” with piano at Congregation Emet v’Or in Virginia.
- September 30, 2017, Saturday, at 9:30am Madeline Frank, violist, performing Applebaum’s “Sim Shalom” with singer and pianist and later in the day Applebaum’s “We Will Remember” with singing quartet and pianist at Congregation Emet v’Or in Virginia.
- Saturday, June 10, 2017, at 7:30pm in Tenri Cultural Institute, 43A West 13th Street, New York City: Madeline Frank, violist will perform Dvorak’s Slavonic Dance No. 10, Lehar’s Dein Ist Ganzes Herz, Piazzolla’s Libertango, Debussy’s Claire de Lune, and with piano on the “Artists In Recital” Concert.
- On Saturday, December 3, 2016, at 7:30pm in Tenri Cultural Institute, 43A West 13th Street, New York City: Madeline Frank, violist will play Newton’s Amazing Grace , Boccherini’s “Passacalle from La Musica Notturna di Madrid” , Rameau / Kreisler’s Tambourin, Rubinstein’s Romance, Op.44,Lehar/ Tr. Kreisler’s Serenade from the Operetta Frasquita,and Kreisler’s Schon Rosmarin with piano on the “Artists In Recital” Concert.
- October 11,2016, Tuesday, at 7pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performing Bruch’s “Kol Nidrei” with piano and in trio with singer and piano Sternberg’s “Meditation and Yih’yu Leratzon” at Congregation Emet v’Or in Virginia.
- On Saturday, June 4, 2016, at 7:30pm in Tenri Cultural Institute in New York City: Madeline Frank, violist played Lehar’s Merry Widow Waltz , Rubinstein’s Melody in F, Dvorak’s Songs My Mother Taught Me, Massenet’s Meditation from Thais, Gluck’s Melody from Orfeo, and Saint-Saens’ Le Cygne with piano on the “Artists In Recital” Concert.
- Student Concert, Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 6pm. Students will perform solos and Chamber Music works by Handel, Vivaldi, and Mozart.
- March 18, 2016, Friday at 7pm at the Tenri Cultural Institute in New York City: Madeline Frank, violist, played Mozart ’s Adagio, K. 261 with piano for the “Essentially Mozart 260 Years ” Concert.
- On Friday, Dec 25, 2015, Christmas Day, Madeline Frank played on her Viola a Concert / Service on the ship the Coral Princess at 4:50pm in the Universal Lounge while traveling on the Caribbean sea. The works performed were by Massenet, Lehar, Pollack, Goldfarb, Kosma, and Bock. The audience was from around the world and enjoyed the concert very much.
- Student Concert, Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 6pm. Students will perform solos and Chamber Music works by Vivaldi, Schubert, Bizet, and others.
- September 22, 2015, Tuesday, at 7pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performing Bruch’s “Kol Nidrei” with piano and in trios with singer and piano Sternberg’s “Meditation and Yih’yu Leratzon” , L. Levine’s “Ki Anu Amecha” , and J.Marder’s “Zochreinu” at Congregation Emet v’Or in Virginia.
- Sep. 13, 2015, Sunday, at 6:30pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performed Goldfaden’s “Rozhinkes mit Mandln” with piano and J.Marder’s “Zochreinu” with singer,and piano at Congregation Emet v’Or in Virginia.
- July 19, 2015, Sunday, at 12 Noon: Madeline Frank, violist, performed works by Rossini, Lehar, Kosma, J.S. Bach, Massenet, Mozart, Rubinstein and others including favorite sing-alongs with audience at The Garden of Warwick Forrest in Virginia.
- June 13, 2015, Saturday, at 7:15pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performed works by Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Price, Mozart, and others including favorite sing alongs with audience at the Marriott Philadelphia, PA. , Salon CD
- Student Concert, Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 6pm. Students will perform solos, Chamber Music, and Orchestra works by Schumann, Lully, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Monty, and J. P. Sousa.
- Student Concert, Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014 at 6pm. Students will perform solos, Chamber Music, and Orchestra works by Mozart, Paganini, A. Smith, J. Strauss, and others.
- Oct. 3, 2014 at 7pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performed Bruch’s “Kol Nidrei” with piano and Steinberg’s “Meditation and Yih’yu Leratzon” with Cantor and organ at Congregation Emet v’Or.
- Sep. 24, 2014 at 7pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performed Steinberg’s “Shalom Rav-B’seifer Chayim” with Cantor and pianist and Goldfaden’s “Rozhinkes mit Mandln” with piano at Congregation Emet v’Or.
- June 13, 2014 at 3pm: Madeline Frank, violist, performed works by Lehar, Rubenstein, Massenet, Dvorak, Kosma, J. S. Bach, C. Saint-Saens, and Newton on board the Ryndam in Norway.
- Student Concert, Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 6pm. Students will perform solos, Chamber Music, and Orchestra works by Mozart, Beethoven, Ward, Purcell, Brahms, Rossini and Strauss, Jr
- Student Concert, Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 at 6pm. Students will perform solos and Chamber Music works by Mozart, Purcell, Brahms,Rossini, Anderson, and others.
- Madeline Frank’s Concerts, August 26- August 30, 2013 in Canada & Maine
- Student Concert Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 6pm. Students will perform Solo and Chamber Music works by Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Susuki, and others.
- Student Concert, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012 at 6pm. Students will perform Solo and Chamber Music works by Classical, Baroque , and Contemporary composers.
Madeline Frank’s education has included scholarships at the Juilliard School, Indiana University, and the University of Cincinnati and she has a violin performance diploma from the North Carolina School of the Arts. She has worked as a violist with conductors Vincent LaSelva, Bernard Haitink, John Lanchbery, Robert Shaw, Herbert von Karian, Walter Hendl, Jorge Mester, Aaron Copland, James Levine, André Previn, Maurice Levine, Isaiah Jackson, and others.
Madeline Frank’s Conducting Experience:
- Bermuda’s 400th Anniversary Concert Celebration, (1609-2009), “Concerti Through the Ages” on Feb 24, 2009 at 8pm at St. Paul’s Church in Paget, Bermuda played to a sold out audience. American Conductor, Dr. Madeline Frank tall and elegantly dressed led the Bermudian Festival Chamber Orchestra and 4 Bermudian soloists through 4 Centuries of music. Gaynor Gallant performed the Marcello Oboe Concerto in D Minor, (Baroque Period: 1600-1749); Kent Hayward performed the Mozart Horn Concerto in E flat Major, K495, (Classical Period: 1750-1820); Nancy Smith performed the Reinecke Flute Concerto, (Romantic Period: 1820-1910); and Adrian Ridgeway performed the Poulenc Organ Concerto, (20th Century: 1910-2000).
- The Frank Chamber Orchestra, Concerts twice a year in Dec. & May, Newport News, VA. (1990- present)
- Youth Orchestras of Colonial Virginia: Symphonette Orchestra & Youth Orchestra, Yorktown, VA. (2005)
- Youth Orchestra of Newport News, VA. (1984-1987); CMS Youth Orchestra;(1995-1997)
- As Conductor & Director developed the Christopher Newport University Orchestra Program, Newport News, VA. (1989-1995)
- The Summer Institute for the Arts Chamber Orch. for the City of Newport News, Virginia (Summer 1987, 1990)
- Silver Chamber Orchestra in New York City (1981-1982)
Reviews of the Concert on the Feb. 24, 2009: Bermuda’s 400th Anniversary Concert Celebration:
“The concert was fabulous.”
- “I was thrilled with…Concerti Through the Ages. It is gratifying to know that … soloists and an orchestra…could reach that standard of playing.” Karen Pollard, Artistic Director, Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts
- “Thank you, thank you, thank you…!!!!!!! BRAVO to you …!!!!! “You did pull a white rabbit out of your hat!!! Adrian Ridgeway soloist of the Poulenc Organ Concerto
- A Flair for Passion and Spirit” (Feb. 24, 2009) by Nancy Acton from The Royal Gazette in Bermuda. The article included biographies of the soloists and the following information on the orchestra and conductor: “On this occasion, the 48-strong Orchestra, including overseas musicians, has the unprecedented opportunity to perform four concerti under the baton of renowned visiting conductor and musician Dr. Madeline Frank. …..Directing ‘Concerti through the Ages’ is internationally acclaimed conductor Dr. Madeline Frank, who has performed in concert and conducted master classes throughout the world……..Dr. Frank has been described as a “brilliant violist who conveys vigor, passion and spirit”
International Concert Artist
Madeline Frank, international violist, has performed concerts throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia and New Zealand to critical acclaim. She has performed at the prestigious Purcell Room at the Royal Festival Hall in London and recently performed the “premier” of the Walton Viola Concerto with the Xiamen Philharmonic Orchestra in Xiamen, China. She was the “first American”, “first woman” and the” first violist” to perform in Xiamen, China.
She has been principal violist of the New York City Opera and has performed with the Metropolitan Opera Ballet Orchestra for the Bolshoi, Kirov, Royal Ballet, Netherlands Dance Theatre and other major international companies. She has been a guest artist on New York City radio stations WQXR, WKCR and WNYC and on stations in Australia and New Zealand. Madeline Frank has performed for pop, disco, commercial recordings and films, working with Frank Sinatra, Lou Rawls, Natalie Cole at Carnegie Hall and Paul Anka , the O’Jays, and Eartha Kitt. She performed the Duke Ellington quartet for strings at his Memorial Concert . She has also performed with Broadway orchestras including Oklahoma and They’re Playing Our Song.
She received her Bachelor of Music and Master of Music from the Juilliard School as a scholarship student of William Lincer, former principal violist of the N.Y. Philharmonic. Her education has included scholarships at the Juilliard School, Indiana University, and the University of Cincinnati and she has a violin performance diploma from the North Carolina School of the Arts. While attending the Juilliard, she studied orchestra conducting with Vincent La Selva, conductor at the New York City Opera and N.Y. Grand Opera .
- Dec. 13, 2011: Madeline Frank, violist will perform a Holiday Party Concert & Sing Along from 6-7:30pm in Newport News, VA.
- May 30, 2009 at 2pm: Madeline Frank, Violinist, will perform for the Poquoson Museum Heritage Day in Poquoson, VA. Classical Music and toe tapping American favorites will be included on the program
- April 14, 2009 at 2pm: “9 Management Secrets to Inspire Clients & Curb Health Care Professionals Burn Out!”
- April 28, 2009 at 7pm: “10 Creative Ways to Inspire Students & Curb Teachers Burn Out!”
- April 10, 2010: Madeline Frank, Violist, will perform at the Ella Fitzgerald Theatre in Newport News at 9am and 10:15am for the Toastmasters Eastern Division “Table Topics & Inter. Speech Contests”.
- Feb 24, 2009, Madeline Frank will be conducting “Bermuda’s 400th Anniversary Concert, Concerti Through the Ages in Paget, Bermuda at St. Paul’s Church. Marcello Oboe Concerto in D Minor, Soloist G. Gallant; Mozart Horn Concerto in E flat Major, K495, Soloist,K. Hayward; Reinecke Flute Concerto, Soloist, N. Smith; Poulenc Organ Concerto, Soloist , A. Ridgeway.
- Nov. 12, 2008, Classical Music Concert for Health & Education
- June 23-26, 2008, Concerts & Workshops on behavior management through Classical Music for Educators, Administrators, Students, and Health Care Professionals.
- December 9, 2007, Sunday at 12noon at B’nai Israel Congregation-Concert, Sing Along & LunchWeek of June 23, 2007 concerts in Bermuda
- Week of July 14, 2007 concerts in Europe
- March 24, 2007 Madeline Frank will performed at the Wren Building in the Great Hall in a scholarship concert on behalf of the College of William and Mary in honor of the Daniel Pearl Festival Concert Program and the Romayne Leader Frank Charitable Foundation.
I was privileged to attend the Daniel Pearl – Romayne Leader Frank Memorial Benefit Concert at the College of William and Mary, where the featured artist was, the fabulous Madeline Frank. The experience was such a joy. Dr. Frank’s performance was outstanding! The wide range of pieces performed created the feeling that the audience was taking a musical world tour; and the “sing along” at the end of the program left us with the great satisfaction of a very full musical experience, indeed. Dr. Frank’s performance style continues to be warm and intense all at the same time. She brings the viola to life in a very unique and glorious way. The evening was most enjoyable from the first note to the last. Dr. Frank and her fellow performers are to be congratulated for providing a wonderful, uplifting,excellent evening of music and song. I truly look forward to the next performance. BRAVO!!
Sharon C. S.
We really enjoyed the concert Saturday evening …loved your selections and really was so impressed with your talent and your ability to communicate through your music. Thank you for the lovely evening.
Tzina and LJ R.
The concert in memorial to Daniel Pearl and Romayne Leader Frank was very moving.Madeline’s commanding performance was lyrical, dramatic, and very expressive. She narrated the program. The program was varied. It included some Kreisler arrangements. It also included music that Daniel Pearl had enjoyed such as “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”,”Dueling Banjos”…as well as pieces Romayne Leader Frank had enjoyed “LaCumparsita” by Rodriguez arranged by Frank, and Autumn Leaves. Madeline also included a superb Sing Along with the College of William and Mary student musicians whom she conducted.”Fiddler on the Roof” selections reached a spiritual realm with “Sabbath Prayer”. Yiddish Songs brought back wonderful memories to the more mature audience and introduced something new to the younger members of the audience. Everyone participated in a standing ovation. It was a wonderful evening.
- Feb 6, 2007, Tues, “Music & the Brain” live music performance including scientific case studies for 8th grade Honor Society students at Jones Magnet Middle School in VA.
- Jan 16, 2007 Teleseminar on “The power of Music & Education and Healing” live music to illustrate each question asked.
- Sep. 8, 2006 Madeline Frank, viola soloist at Parkview Baptist Church in Newport News, VA. performing Massenet’s Meditation from the Opera Thais and Pachelbel’s Canon.
- May 30, 2006 Madeline Frank viola soloist with the Menchville Monarch Orchestra at Menchville H.S. in Newport News, VA. with conductor Anna Fontaine Moyer in Massenet’s Meditation from the Opera Thais and Daniels Sakura.
- May 6, 2006 Student Concert of solos and chamber music in Newport News, VA.
Recent Concerts and Other Major Events:
- Madeline Frank, Viola Soloist with the Xiamen Philharmonic Orchestra in Xiamen, China performing the “First performance” of the “Walton Viola Concerto for Viola and Orchestra” on Nov. 4, 2005 . She is the “first” violist to be invited to perform in Xiamen, China and the “first” American woman. Madeline Frank gave a Master Class for the music department students (solo and chamber music) at Xiamen University in Xiamen, China on Oct. 31, 2005 and a Music Therapy workshop on Nov. 2, 2005.
- Concert recital in Athens, Greece, July 25, 2005 standing room only.
- Madeline Frank, Ph.D. on May 2005 became an Amazon. com Best Selling author for her book “The Secret of Teaching Science & Math Through Music” and her second book “Musical Notes On Math” (teaching fractions and decimals to children in grades K-5 through the rhythm of music) won the 2005 Parent to Parent Adding Wisdom Award.
I was in the audience and we all appreciated Madeline Frank’s beautiful playing of the Walton Viola Concerto. We gave her a standing ovation, then she played three encores. For Frank, it was a line-up of “firsts” her first performance in China. the first viola to solo with Xiamen Philharmonic and the first time for the Walton to be on a concert program. These were welcome contributions in the continuing education of both the orchestra and audience in Xiamen.
Professor Jan Engsberg, Xiamen University School of Journalism
Madeline Frank’s Past Concerts as Viola Soloist with Orchestra
- Ernest Bloch “Suite for Viola and Orchestra” with the 92nd Y Symphonic Workshop (NYC), Conductor Maurice Levine
- William Walton Viola Concerto for Viola and Orchestra with the 92nd Y Symphonic Workshop (NYC), Conductor Maurice Levine
- Mozart Symphonie Concertante for Violin , Viola and Orchestra with the Broadway Symphony (NYC)
Madeline Frank CD “In Performance”
Schubert Arpeggione Sonata
Brahms Sonata No. 2 in E – Flat
She has performed solo recitals throughout the United States,Canada, South America, Bermuda, Israel, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand to critical acclaim. She has been principal violist of the New York City Opera and has performed with the Metropolitan Opera Ballet Orchestra for the Bolshoi, Kirov, Royal Ballet, Netherlands Dance Theatre and other major international companies. She has been a guest artist on New York City radio stations WQXR, WKCR and WNYC and on stations in Australia and New Zealand. She has performed at the Budapest Festival and throughout Europe as a chamber music performer.
Madeline Frank CD “Madeline’s Midnight Melodies – Music From Around the World”
Order Your Copy Today!
Madeline’s Midnight Melodies – Music From Around the World This CDcomplements her books with a blend of dance music, gigues, tangos, ballet and favorites including “Danny Boy”, Puccini’s “O Mio Babbino Caro”, Debussy’s “Claire De Lune” and others. “Madeline’s Midnight Melodies” is music to relax by and to move by for music therapy. Click here for Madeline Frank’s extended biography, reviews, and excerpts of “Madeline’s Midnight Melodies” at www.cdbaby.com
O Mio Babbino Caro
Danza Espanola No. 5
Por Una Cabeza
Claire De Lune
Gigue from Suite 1
Meditation from Thais
Melody from Orfeo
“A very peaceful and soothing string of music – a true delight” – Jeff Osborne
“Such a rich tone…such a nice feel” – Dennis Marcellino
“Magnificent, marvelous, moving-music to inspire” – Cassandra Lynne author of “Love Speak”
“Great comfort food!” “A true delight” – James Nicholas